Sunday 23 November 2008

A day of mixed fortunes

This morning I checked the emails at 8am. There was no cancellation so the next step was to chip the car free of frozen snow, wondering all the time whether the email had been delayed as I couldn't see anyone in their right mind wanting to play rugby this morning.

If I'd been more patient I could have saved myself a job as the day warmed up and by the time we set off rain had cleared most of the cars down the street.

It was a bit dour on the way down but generally not too bad and the satnav (provided by one of the passengers) directed us a strange way which saw us arrive at Newbold on Avon slightly before someone who had overtaken us on the M1.I'm beginning to warm to satnav, though the idea of following directions given in a woman's voice is slightly peculiar. Experience tells me this is a number one way to get lost. As it was, I am happy to report that we ended up in a group of garages next to the club rather than in the club itself. Perfection is OK, but a slight flaw, even in a computer, is more endearing.

The score, after a game that I shall report on later, 0-5 to us, with a try scored in the final minute of the game.

The U13s lost 10-19 to a team that beat us 0-35 last time they visited. It's progress and although it ends the "unbeaten run", as they were starting to call it, it's also a reality check. Same for the U16s. It's been a bit too easy; this week showed where we need to start work ahead of the cup matches after Christmas.

No comments: