Monday 20 October 2008

Tour Planning Part I

The original plan was to go to New Zealand, a place The Leader referred to as "the Mecca of Rugby". At that point, I have to confess that my childish sense of humour lead me to search the web hoping to find a picture of the Mecca Bingo club in Rugby, Warwickshire. If I had found one I would be showing it now.


We discussed New Zealand but decided that it was probably too far and too expensive, particularly as my sister had just been there on holiday and her description of rain, sheep and the 1950s sounded so much like Derbyshire we might as well tour the Peak District. She did say you don't get volcanoes in Derbyshire, which in my view is another good thing about Derbyshire. Same for Australia as far as cost and distance goes, though susbstitute desert for Derbyshire.


Closer to home we looked at South Africa. However, we were thinking of organising it ourselves and the RFU won't sanction tours to South Africa unless they are organised by tour companies. This left us a bit stuck as the tour has to be after the exams and nobody much is playing rugby at that time of year.


Then somebody mentioned Canada and one of the parents revealed himself to be Canadian. This was a surprise as I had always thought he had a Somerset accent.

To be continued

2 comments:

Ulian_711 said...

Canada has bears New Zealand has clouds and queerly tattooed men, I know which one i'd choose.

winstanley said...

For some reason I have just started wondering if you could teach a bear to do the Haka. If you can teach a prop I can't see a bear being out of the question.