Friday 13 February 2009

Weather (what else) and the benefits of Rugby League

I was on the phone to Nottingham's matchday organiser earlier today - the professional team, not the kids. He was coughing and sniffing and so was I as we both have colds. Being men, as my wife pointed out, we both have really, really bad colds. The subject of our conversation - going to stand outside for three hours on Sunday in the freezing cold. Am I the only one that thinks there is something wrong there?

Last time I went to sell programmes it started snowing as we opened the first box and carried on until kick-off. I was so cold I couldn't even feel the coins in my hand when I was giving change.

It's hard not to contrast this with Rugby League. Super League has just started. The Outlaws Open Age team will be starting in April with a visit to Featherstone Lions. The Juniors will be starting in May. You have to admire a sport that takes place in summer instead of the middle of winter. Unless it's cricket, the sporting equivalent of Horlicks. There is very little to be said for a sport where you can play five days and nobody wins.

The only thing I need to fear during the RL season is sunburn whereas death from exposure is a constant threat during this year's Rugby Union season. It wasn't so bad at Ireland Avenue, our old ground, as you could walk around and restore your circulation. Now we play in a football ground and have to sit in a concrete and plastic stand as the cold winds gradually remove your ability to move and your will to live.

No comments: