Sunday 7 December 2008

Frost 3 Rugby 0

Went to Matlock this morning, beautiful frosty morning with a low winter sun shining through frost rimmed trees. The sun, when it wasn't in my eyes, managed to shine into my door mirror and from there into my eyes. I couldn't help whistling "Winter Wonderland". Looking out for icey patches, with sun in eyes and three teenagers whittering about so-called modern "music" - ah, the joys of parenthood. Are you starting to detect that it wasn't the greatest journey?

All the way there I had to stop myself telling the usual stories (the farmer who shot himself in the head but survived, the manor house where Mary Queen of Scots stayed etc) and making remarks like "Oh, they've built there now have they?" as Number One son is easily embarrassed by his senile parent.

As Matlock drew closer I couldn't help noticing the sun wasn't making much of an impression on the frost. We reached Cromford and turned off (just after the canal). I noticed that my windscreen washers had frozen as we drove into the valley. It didn't look good.

And it turned out not to be good. Despite an hour of optimism from theMatlock coaches even the best bit of ground didn't thaw out properly. Some of it was lovely and soft. Some was rock hard. All in all it was a recipe for disaster so we turned round and went home. Better to do that than see a player injured, though it never feels good.

Under 13s were cancelled too, though they had a proper society referee to inspect the pitch and take the blame.

Then in the afternoon the Nottingham v Coventry match was cancelled too. They play at Meadow Lane, and the difficulty with that is that with the stands around the pitch the sun has no chance of warming the grass. Ah well.

Frost 3 Rugby 0

No comments: